The New Years That Never Was

First, happy new year! Happy 2012, and I have a feeling it’s going to a big year.

Now, I’d like to tell you a story. A tale as old as….48 hours ago. I can just now, after a day of detox speak of what transpired for me and Jason’s New Year’s Eve.

You may remember my Warm and Fuzzy post a few weeks ago that mentioned a planned trip to the family cabin in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. Well, let’s just say we never made it.

Please, follow along. And enjoy our nightmare adventure!

After sharing a wonderful wedding with our two best friends who got married Thursday night….









We awoke bright and freakin early on Friday morning to catch a 7 a.m. flight to Tennessee. However, because of sucky weather, Houston airport (our connection) was completely shut down until around noon. So began our saga.

Our first flight was delayed till noon, effectively screwing our whole day. By the time we landed in Houston, we sprinted across the airport, only to have the flight door shut in our face. I don’t have a picture for this moment, because I wouldn’t want anyone to see the type of tantrum I threw, or the amount of tears that were shed to the lady who was  not interested in hearing my story, as about 300 more people behind me had the same story.

So, then we stand in the Service Center (aka airport purgatory) line for 2 hours, all while on hold with Continental to change our flights…..

One good thing, the man at the counter was so nice. He had helped probably 60 people in front of us, but was still cheery. Thanks Ricky for making our airport purgatory experience bearable! But, he was able to book us on a later flight to Greenville, SC, that would then put us about 2 hours from Gatlinburg, which we would drive to after renting a car. Making it to the cabin around 1 a.m. Not the best way to spend your midnight on NYE. But, what could we do.

We wait…









And what do you do when you’ve already been in an airport for 8 hours, waiting, with no confirmation that you will ever leave again. Why, you find a plug, sit in a dirty hallway and watch Big Bang Theory!









Or you use whatever you can find as a pillow and take a nap.









So then after waiting until 7:30 p.m. to catch our new flight, we check the board. DELAYED. To 9:50 p.m., which would get us to Greenville around 1 a.m. Which would then mean we would celebrate NYE on a plane above the East Coast. Still not ideal.

So we are stranded in Houston for New Year’s Eve. Not what we had in mind. No luggage. No party. No champagne. No family. No compensation from Continental for the delay.

So we journey to our trusty Enterprise. Pick a car, pick a hotel and cut our losses. We’re spending NYE in Houston. hooray….

Although, one perk of being married to someone who works for Enterprise, we get the cool cars.









So at this point, it’s 10 p.m. on NYE. We still think we’re flying to Tennessee the next morning. We have no luggage. And no dinner. So what do we do? Order pizza, get a 2 Liter of Coke and hunker down in the hotel room to celebrate our second NYE as a married couple in the most unconventional way!









I couldn’t make it to midnight. Jason woke me up at 11:55 p.m. and after said happy new year, I was back out. It had been a long few days and seeing other people partying and celebrating and having fun was not entertaining at that moment.

So our flight the next day was scheduled to leave at 10 a.m. We woke up at 7 a.m., and were so exhausted, so discouraged and so gross that we decided to just turn around and go home 😦 No cabin. No snow. No vacation. But, we would have only been there for a full day before we would have to fly home again. So we made the adult (bleh) decision and booked a return flight to Baton Rouge. In the same clothes we put on 48 hours earlier expecting to be in the mountains by now.









So all in all, it is now 8:30 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 3. We just got our luggage back after 72 hours of no toothbrush, no makeup, no nothing. And we spent a staycation day here at home.

And in all reality, after all the mess-ups and only one tantrum each (mine came when the mean lady at the counter held up her finger to me when I tried to ask for help, oh let me tell you how hard I bit my tongue not to make an even bigger scene). We made it through. We made the best of it. We even laughed through it. It’s not what we wanted, but it is a great reminder that we are so not in control.

A silver lining through it all was I got to spend 4 full days with Jason, by ourselves, no work, just spending time together, even if it was in a Hilton Garden Inn at the Houston airport. There’s a reason we needed all of that time together. Because as I said earlier, 2012 is shaping up to a be a big year.

So that was our New Years that never was. But what a New Years it was!